2/15/11

Tuesday's New Albums....2-15


Bright Eyes The People's Key
After two excellant albums with is Mystic Valley Band and one disc with Monsters of Folk, Conor Oberst is getting back to his most famous band Bright Eyes. This is the group's eighth album, there previous being 2007's critically acclaimed Cassadaga. I've listened to this album a couple of times and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Need more time to mull it over.

Drive-By Truckers Go-Go Boots
These Georgia boys always some funky southern guitar tunes kicking around and cool hand drawn albums to boot. This is their 9th studio album and it will be interesting to see if they can their showing with last year's The Big To-Do which debuted at #22 on the Billboard Top 200. I've enjoyed a number of songs by this band in the past, though the one song I've heard off the latest release "I Used To Be A Cop" kinda sucks. Back to chart positions though, I don't know how much promotion this disc is really getting, I haven't really head any, but I'm sure their fanbase will turn out strong the first week; if no one else does.


P. J Harvey Let England Shake

Music critics seem pretty amped up for the new P. J Harvey album, I personally had never fucking heard of her until two weeks ago. Her name makes me instantly think of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for understandable reasons; sadly her album doesn't reflect this. By the album's title one can assume she's an English las (wiki confirms), and I was very surprised to learn that she's been making music since the 80s and that this is her 8th studio album. A little intreged, I began streaming his album a few days ago and found it very experimental. I'd have to give it another listen or two for a real opinion, but for now I found it engaging to begin but a bore after ten minutes or so. Don't take my opinion to seriously though (yes, do).

Mogwai Hardcore will never die, But you will
What an awesome name for an album. Like PJ, a lot of music junkies are excited for this release, though Mogwai's excitement escapes critics and indie hipsters and can be found on rock and metal sites/blogs; so it best be good. This will be the band's 7th studio album....and ya if you like rock music you might want to give this band a listen. They're not really mainstream, but they seem to have a dedicated following behind them. I of course can't recommend them cause I too just found out about these guys recently, but I will say, what I have heard has been pretty darn good. Dam good. Nearly, but not quite, great.

Yuck Yuck

When I first saw this album cover I just assumed it was the new Justin Bieber album, and was ready to applaud Justin for having an album cover that depicted how everyone will feel about his music in five years (ten tops). But no this is not Justin Beiber sadly, this is Yuck, the hot new indie rock band being harolded across the web and music magazine world this month. I've heard nothing from them yet, but was very intreged by their band name and debut album cover. Apparently they're reviving a 90s based indie rock sound (umm ok), but if they suck it'll be fitting. I'll simply say "yuck" and never listen to them again. Win fucking win baby.

Eh, I guess it's an alright song but I can't get into it. Just sounds like a generic fucking indie rock song. Somthing that would have been tucked away in the middle of the Juno soundtrack. I won't say suck, how about 'bleh'. Lol, I keep thinking of the lead singer of some stupid fucking teenage kid talking about how he can't make it through Pink Floyd's The Wall; why does good music fucking hurt your ears?


Twilight Singers Dynamite Steps
If you're going to hook up with the Twilight Singers, beware their dynamtie steps.
I really have nothing to say about this group, if your curious you can read an article on them from Spin and hear their entire new album here (fuck I'm lazy, didn't even listen to any of the album in preperation for this blog entry. I owe my readers better (no you don't)).
Album cover looks pretty creepy.

Awesome, this is a great fucking song. Was expecting some soft shit female indie noise (don't know why) but ya, this is good man; real good.


Rev Theory Justice
Rev Theory are a fun, entertaining rock band. I've seen them live a couple times and remeber clearly that I did not hate them. Outside of that though I really can't recall any of their music. Pretty sure it just sounds like your average modern day rock group,  they do have a funny rock version of "Lollipop". This is their second album (technically third), they're playing Rock on the Range this year (again) and I'll most likely go see them and have a good time (but totally forget their set afterwards).

Oh ya I like this song. Just good hard rocking, get in someone's fucking face, and headbang shit. I want fucking justice too.

Ten Stormwarning
I put this album on the list not because I care or have ever heard of the band Ten, but rather because their album amuses me and reminds me of the great Heavy Metal fantasy artwork of the 80s. Look at this epic scene, this fine ass warrior goddess is looking out at a kingdom she totally just burned to the fucking ground. As for the band themselves, the group's been kicking it since the 90s. They broke up in 2007, but reunited last year and this is their first offering since getting the fucking band back together. Well's just have to take a listen and see if these English hard rockers are good enough for their cover vixen to spare.

Pretty good song, nothing too special. I could see enjoying this group as an opening band perhaps.

Saigon The Greatest Story Never Told
When I heard the name Saigon, I mistakenly thought I'd be looking into a release by a kick ass Japenes Hair Metal band, instead I get this angry looking American rapper. *Sight* That's right Saigon, keep that fucking duct tape on your mouth, cause I'm just not sure yet I want to be hearing what you want to be spitting. According to Wiki, this willl be Saigons' first full studio album, though he has released several Street Albums and even appeared on a couple episodes of HBO's Entourage. No clue if the rap world is anticipating this release in any way, though the album does feature some big names like Jay-Z, Kanye West, and Faith Evans. Ok Saigon, you can take the duct tape off now, we want to hear you make rhymes.

Surprised I didn't instantly hate this shit, though I do hate it when the dude in the background goes "whaa whaa whaa". Saigon says some interesting things and I find myself listening. Good back beat, and horns.

Ginuwine Elgin
I dunno who he is, but this cat looks smooth. Me thinks he could be targeting a female audience with this fly suite, and 'let's hook up' look.
I mean look at his fucking name, Ginuwine, as in, genuine, as in I'm a genuine good guy and excellant lover. Surely woman are smart enough to see through this R and B singer's act. Hmmm, maybe not. Research shows that of Ginuwine's last six albums, 2 have gone 2x Platinum, 1 has gone Platinum, and one has gone Gold. While he's not pulling down the same large sales that he did in the 90s, Ginuwine's last album in 2009 debuted #9 on the Billboard Charts. Why have I never heard of you, oh ya because I'm a white man who doesn't listen to much R and B.

WTF, lol. Song is horrible. Love all this overdone hand movements and weird fucking dance moves to a slow fucking beat. Who the fuck buys this shit lol. I sit around and think about what could have been, this track could have been good.

Deicide To Hell with God
Well, well, Album cover = A+. Album title= A+. It looks like the poor bastards roasting in Hell have finally woken up and said "you know what, fuck God! Let's rise up and kill that evil motherfucker." The task may be foolish and doomed to end with their ultimate oblideration from existance, but dam, you have to love their spirit. This is the 10th studio album from these American death metal rockers. I've never really listened to them before, but as you can proably tell I'm excited to give this new disc the greenlight for my ears.

Pretty intense shit here. Maybe my excitement was misplaced, sounds like generic death metal to me. Perhaps I'm just not a guy who appreciates death metal enough, I mean I didn't hate the track and listened to it all the way through, but I highly doubt I'll be motivated to listen to it again.


The Dears Degeneration Street
Indie rock band from Montreal, Canada. This will be the group's fifth studio album. They've already begun getting a chart showing in the UK and Canada towads the mid 00's, but have made little waves in America. Maybe the huge success of Arcade Fire at the Grammy's last Sunday will help lift these Canuks to stardom. That is if they're any good. Better have a listen.

Alright it's certainly no Arcade Fire, but it's pretty good if you ask me. Nice songwriting, passionately sung vocals, alright band performance. These guys proably have some good songs lying around in their discography.

No comments:

Post a Comment