1/20/11

Billboard Blitz!! 1-19-2011

Album sales continue to plumett giving us the worst selling #1 in the SoundScan era history for the second week in a row. But hey, at least there's Cake.
20. Glee The Music: Season 2
19. Pink Greatest Hits
18. Daft Punk Tron: Legacy
17. R. Kelly Love Letter
16. Kid Rock Born Free
15. LeCrae Rehab: The Overdose
14. Eminem Recovery
13. Katy Perry Teenage Dream
12. The Black Keys Brothers
11. Jason Aldean My Kinda Party


10. Kanye West My Dark Twisted Fantasy
Week 8 on the charts for Mr. Kanye and he's on the verge of falling out of the Top 10 again. Not to worry though, I'm sure he'll start kind of Twitter controversy to keep his name in the spot light. This one's already attained the Platinum status.

I gotta say the opening chorus line is incredible, catchy lyrics, guitar sounds, and detailed production. I really wish the song would have stayed with that chorus vibe cause once Kanye came in to do his rap verses he lost me. First the production goes down, with the chorus line taking a back line and Kanye's voice sounding like it's almost coming out of some kind of speaker; where's the production? Than of course there's Kayne's awful rhymes. Maybe other people enjoy what Kanye spits, but I certainly do not he fucking changes gears so often I find myself straining to hear and comprehend what the fuck he's saying. I understand his central theme, but god dam it's like he has ADD throwing countless absurd statements; musical Family Guy flashback scenes on crack. A few are funny, I guess, but he says them so often and unswaggerly, there's no time to get in on the joke.

9. Mumford and Sons Sight No More
You can't keep a good folk group down, these boys have been on the charts for 43 weeks now, and their ship has risen and fallen continuously. End of the year list and award show buzz currently is holding them afloat in the Top 10, but man it's been one hell of a ride.

2010's most successful folk rockers, Mumford his sons are getting it done on this track, starting off slow and builing to another enjoyable tune. People say they're over rated, but they sound just fine to me.

8. Rihanna Loud
I'm gonna do somthing a little different here on the Blitz! when we run across artist who have been on the Top 10 for a while, so we'ver heard a few tracks off they're release. Instead of playing yet another song, I'll be climbing down the Billboard 200 and exploring new debuts for the week. Here we have Kristain Stanfill at #64 with his new album Mountain Move. Looks Kristain is an....uh no...a Christain rock singer...well we'll give him a fair shake (try).

Alright so when the lyrics are the strongest and unquestionably the central focal point of your song, it's hard for somone to like it if it wholly panders to beliefs and ideas they might disagree with. Bluntly: Your song fucking sucks. Couple points to make as well: 1) Jesus was officailly king of nothing (wouldn't his dad be king, oh right I forgot about that fucking Trinity shit). 2) You don't know for sure even if you do beleive it. 3) Freedom song? Aren't you locked into unquestionably serving Jesus for eternity?

7. Steel Magnolia Steel Magnolia
A strong debut or these Country new comers.....don't know what else to say...they're from Nashville surprise surprise.....I hate the movie they're possibly named after.

Hmm, I'm not a huge modern Country music fan but there isn't much to knock here. They have good chemistry, great voices (especially the female), and it's decent song. See, I'm fair.

6. Various Artist Country Strong Soundtrack
Week six for this Country movie soundtrack, and hey they have our #6 spot too; very cool. From what I hear the movie sucks but it is nice to see Tim McGraw with a beard.

Gwyneth Paltrow, you know the actress who was beheaded in Seven, makes a strong statement here. I don't really care for this song but I will concede that Paltrow appears to have the ability to become a Country Music star. Weird, a performer turned musicain that doesnt suck dick.....well I guess Paltrow may suck dick...just not in the talentless kind of way.

5. Nicki Minaj Pink Friday
Nicki is exploding all over the Hip Hop world and will undoubtedly be featured on a shit ton of albums in 2011. She's been on the charts for only 8 weeks, but her album is already certified Platinum. Tapes N Tapes on the other hand are far from Platinum with their new album debuting this week at #110. These indie rockers are from Minnesota, I've from Minnesota, and though I've heard a lot about them over the past few years, I've never really given them the time of day. Until now....
That was actually really enjoyable, perhaps I should check out some more tracks by these midwestern boys.

4. Bruno Mars Doo-Wops and Hooligans
Times are good for Mr. Mars and he seems to be cropping up everywhere. It's his 15th week since release, and he's holding on to the top ten. Despite this, I don't feel like Bruno Mars so instead we're going to listen to a single from The Black Keys.
That's the good stuff right there.

3. Taylor Swift Speak
Taylor has been ruling the Top 10 for twelve weeks now, and though she's lost her #1 crown again I'm sure she doesn't mind Cake taking away the worst selling #1 album record she set just last week. See girls, cake does make it better.

Oh man this song is fucking ridiculous. Lol, I can't take it seriously but I'd be lying if I didn't say I enjoyed listening to it. Wow, apparently Christian Rap is way better than Christian Rock. How backwards is that, well I guess the whole thing is pretty backwards. "Ya I drink his blood and eat his flesh" lol I swear I heard a little 'eww' in the background when he said that, fucking brillant. Way to earn that #15 spot Lecrae.

2. Cage The Elephant Happy Birthday
One would have thought Cage The Elephant would have been the strongest debut this week, as they've had a number of radio friendly rock singles pumping out of the speakers over the past two years, but indie fans came out stronger for Cake than rock fans did for the Elephant (see where things land next week).

Good shit right here, nice to hear somthing a little different on the Modern Rock stations.

1. Cake Showroom of Compassion
Even though it's the worst #1 sales debut in the history of Soundscan (which has been tracking album sales since 1991), Cake should still enjoy their first #1 and their first Top Ten debut.
How should I describe my feelings towards this song, yummy, delicous, scrumtious? Another great, fun, and catchy song from Cake. Keep up the good work boys.

What ever happend to..................last week's Top 10?
10. Country Strong Soundtrack- Various Artist 6
9. Jason Aldean- My Kinda Party 11
8. Mumford and Sons- Sigh No More 9
7. Kanye West- My Dark Twisted Fantasy 10
6. Rihanna- Loud 8
5. Eminem- Recovery 14
4. Daft Punk- Tron Legacy Soundtrack 18
3. Bruno Mars- Doo-Wops and Hooligans 4
2. Nick Minaj- Pink Friday 5
1. Taylor Swift- Speak 3

Next Week: Will the Decemberist be King, and will they take Cake's new record?

No comments:

Post a Comment