12/9/10

KISSmas Days 1-3

Hello everyone, hope you're having a joyous and productive KISSmas season. It's day three of KISSmas and I thought I'd post a mini-review for each of the KISS albums I've make it through thus far.

KISS (1974)
This has been my favorite album so far. Love how the first track is "Strutter", great way to start off a KISS album (and KISS's studio career). Lots of great songs on this album, "Deuce", "Cold Gin",  "100,000 Years". Peter Criss has really strong vocals on "Black Diamond", coming in after the intro from Stanley. I also found myself really enjoying the guitar playing on this record, and to a lesser extend Gene's bass lines. No real duds here, the other tracks that did not hugely stand out to me, were at least moderatly enjoyable. "Nothin' to Lose" defiantly sounds like a Beatles' inspiration, with Gene, Paul, and Peter harmonizing in a fab four fashion. I could definitely listen to this one again.

Hotter Than Hell (1974)
Definatley not as strong as the debut, Hotter Than Hell was none the less an enjoyable listen, the band's instrument powers carrying my interest much far than the actual songwriting. Great guitar on "Parasite" and "Strange Ways". I listened to this record just yesterday, and the songs are already becoming difficult to recall. The title track is only major standout to me from this record (still stuck in my head), and while I thoroughly enjoyed most of the songs, I found myself increasingly agreeing with the old critical lament that the band has limited lyrical skills. Half the songs are sung by Gene, and that was a weakness in my mind; Paul has a much better voice and vocal presence on tracks. Overall, the album kept my foot tapping and my hears interested, but the overall effects didn't resonate much further following it's completion.

Dressed to Kill (1975)
Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for KISS, nonetheless I enjoyed this album the least amount. The first three or four songs did little to draw me in; short rock songs about hooking up with chicks on the road, badly written and not containing the usually melodic hooks and stand out guitar licks to make up for it. Stanley brought me back towards the end of  track 5, "Rock Botton", and "C'mon and Love Me" is undoubtedly the best track here. The second half of the album is greatly superior to the start, lyrically concentrating on woman again, but outside the hotel room. The band's anthem "Rock and Roll All Nite" (great song but the live version version later recorded for Alive! is light years better) ends the record on a powerfully strong note, but couldn't fully save the album for me. The opening tracks just put a bad taste in my holiday mouth, but they also forced me to listen to the second half a little closer. This one probably needs another spin.

Tomorrow, Destroyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment