9/16/10

Mark Olson concert review

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Date: September 14, 2010
Location: Pizza Luce in downtown Duluth, MN

I saw an old Jayhawk downtown last night....For those who don't know, the Jayhawks are an alt country rock band loved by critics, revered in the Minnesota music scene, and ultimately famous for never really becoming famous. The tag-line "Greatest Band no one ever heard off" often gets tossed their way. Mark Olson was one (is one again as they have been doing reunion shows off and on the last few years) of these birds, and along with Gary Louis being, the principle songwriter, vocalist, and guitar player for their first four albums. Olson left the group in the late 90's and to care for his ailing wife and establish a solo career. The show I saw Tuesday night was a solo show in support of his latest album Many Colored Kite.

Really it was a lucky concert week for me, I was offered free tickets to the Pavement reunion show at Roy Wilkins (I did not attend because 1. My gf said so and 2. I've only heard one Pavement song in my entire life and didn't really like it) and than won free tickets to Mark Olson's show at Pizza Luce (thanks Electric Fetus). Honestly, though I was well aware of this concert and Mark's bio, the $14 ticket price coupled with my unfamiliarity with any of Olson's work, Jayhawks or solo, was a deterrent that would have kept me from the show had the free ticket fairy not stepped in. I'm glad she did, it turned out to be a worthy and enjoyable experience.

The crowd at Luce that night was sparse to say the least, with numbers only dwindling as the night progressed. It was actually the emptiest I've seen Luce on a concert night, which is sad especially given that Mark is a larger touring artist and not just a local group playing. The minority of college students that were present at the show must have come solely for opening act Corey Chisle, because they had all cleared out by the time Olson hit the stage (this includes my own gf).

I must say I was really impressed by Corey Chisle. Corey sang and played acoustic guitar accompanied by an angel with blond hair on keyboard and backing vocals. The duo performed hear pleasing modern folk that easily could have landed them a headling gig at Luce, and name checked the Northland and its favorite son. Corey performed a song he claims to have stolen from Mr. Dylan with changed lyrics, and won a thunderous applaud when he impersonated the legend's voice for one verse. The performance was made additionally special when Corey invited is mother and uncle to join him on stage late in the set for an old gospel song; they performed backing vocals and harmonica respectively. Corey Chisle put on a great show and I'll have to keep an eye out for them in the future (note: band is playing the Turf Club on Oct 28).

The youth left with Corey, leaving a small crowd of 30-40 year olds who most likely started listening to Mark with the Jayhawks back in their early 90s college days. Mark took the stage with a white wild haired, green panted violinist, and a out of place looking young black drummer. Though more heavily armed than the previous band, Mark's group never captured the same amnions that made Corey Chisle's music so enjoyable. Mark played a more classic version of folk music, and though his persona was incredibly welcoming and funny (numerous humored banter between songs) my mind repeatedly fell away during his performance. Despite this, there were a strong number of good tunes in the set, often incorporating outdoor Minnesota themes, and the band really found their groove on numbers like "One-eyed black dog Moses". Sadly this high energy groove was short lived, arriving only in the final two to three numbers, earning strong curtain applauds, but also leaving me wanting more.

Again, overall this was a good show and not a bad way to spend a Tuesday night (especially when it's free). I hung around the venue for a few minutes looking to congratulate Mark on his set, but when actual fans held his attention longer than my patience I caught a taxi home; leaving not as a Mark Olson fan but ultimately a satisfied customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment