8/14/11

With The Beatles: Review

Looking over the track listing for Beatle album #2, I don't recognize a single song. The album cover is also a bit jarring, looks like British propaganda if you ask me. Ah well, here goes......


On first listen I really didn't care for this album, but it grew on me with additional listens. The covers aren't quite as memorale as on the first record, though there are a couple gems to be found, and there is arguably no classic Beatles track here, but the album is still catchy and enjoyable; worthy to be in the cannon.

1. It Won't Be Long
Lennon's creepy but very catchy devotional song, that features a great guitar riff. I imagine a young girl starring at a picture of Lennon and singing this little ditty; Yeah!

2. All I've Got to Do
This is the exact opposite of the first track. Here Lennon is not devoted, instead he's bragging about how he can get a girl to do whatever he wants. Which is true, he's a fucking Beatle. Here there are still a lot of 'yeahs' but they're softer.

3. All My Loving
Paul's first lead on the album and it's about...*drum roll*...Love of course. Songwriting isn't as good as the previous two tracks, but it does showcase the strong singing ability of Paul; especially towards the end of the song.

4. Don't Bother Me
While Paul and John are harking over and over about love, George is heartbroken and wants to be left alone. Like the echoness and low pitches of George's voice on this song. Drumming also stands out.

5. Little Child
Nice little harmonica number here. Lennon amuses me with his light, somwhat girlish vocals on the line "I'm so sad and lonely".

6. Till There Was You
Earlier I said the covers on this album really didn't stand out, but I do enjoy Paul singing this ballet by Meredith Wilson.

7. Please Mr. Postman
I like the energy here, and after some comparison, it is superior to both The Marvelettes and The Carpenters renditions. Rock on lads.

8. Roll Over Beethoven
George takes vocal lead on this Chuck Berry cover, and while it's decent, nothing about it can touch the original. George makes it sound like a musical standard rather than a pumping rock original; needs more spirit in his voice. Also the clapping is a bit annoying and the "whooos" are very weak.

9. Hold Me Tight
More incesant clapping, but the bouncing guitar almost allows me to ignore it. Strong tune though, like the backing harmonies with Paul on lead.

10. You Really Got a Hold on Me
Great Smokey Robinson cover here with John and George singing lead. It's got a hold of me.

11. I Wanna Be Your Man
Enter Ringo. Definately not as good as his song on the last album, but it's still rocking and fun. His voice is a bit deeper than the other three.

12. Devil in Her Heart
Band shows off the power of three great singers here. Wonder if the ole Devil had a hand in making this great band?

13. Not a Second Time
Song bores me a bit, Lennon over sings, but the song is still alright.

14. Money (That's What I Want)
Weak cover, original by Barret Strong is a million times better. Might be my least favorite track on the album.


I Love Tiny Toons.

No comments:

Post a Comment