8/17/11

A Hard Day's Night: Review

I remember when Foriegnor had double vision, this is ridiculous.


The Beatles' third album and their first movie soundtrack. A few things have changed from the previous two albums: 13 tracks instead of 14, all songs are written by Lennon/McCartney, Ringo doesn't get a song, and there are no covers. Lennon flexes his muscles here, absolutely dominating the album in songwriting and singing. I really enjoyed listening to this album, and so far I've watched half the movie.

1. A Hard Day's Night
Amazing track. Love the yelling, yeahs, cowbell, guitar, harmoies; Beatles' gold man.

2. I Should Have Know Better
Another infectious track. Lennon belts out a winner and the harmonica seals the deal for me.

3. If I Fell
Soft little love song with John and Paul sharing lead vocals. Strong start for the album.

4. I'm Happy Just to Dance with You
George's lone lead on the album. Decent song but nothing remarkable, like the rising background "ooooo"s.

5. And I love Her
Paul takes his first vocal lead on a echoing love song. Definately a winner, like guitar play is a nice touch as well.

6. Tell Me Why
A bouncing rocker. Why wouldn't you like this track.

7. Can't Buy Me Love
Another Beatle classic, Paul's second lead .

8. Any Time at All
One of my favorite tracks on the album, love Lennon's forceful chorus vocals.

9. I'll Cry Instead
Kind of a fun country-esque number.

10. Things We Said Today
Paul may not get anywhere near the number of leads as Lennon on this album, but man he makes them count. Type of song that must have mezmerised young girls in the 60s. Fucking sweet song.

11. When I Get Home
Are there any songs on this album that aren't good? "Come on...."

12. You Can't Do That
A fun song of threats and admonishes for Lennon's girl. Guitar is fantastic and the vocal change up is top notch.

13. I'll Be Back
Mabye my least favorite song on the album, but it's still good. Always enjoy the shared leads of Lennon and McCartney.

No comments:

Post a Comment