10/8/11

Decoded: A Musical Journey with Jay-Z Part 1


(Lol, he looks like Urkel)

I started reading Jay-Z's decoded this week, and decided to listen to every song he mentions in the book. Jay has a pretty different background than I do (I was born in the late 80s, never been that into rap, didn't live in the hood, plus I'm white), so this should be a good way to expand my musical horizons.

Jay says he saw these guys perform on SNL as a kid.

Dam this song sounds old school. Now I know where the "you don't stop" came from.

Jay refers to the following records as the cultural trifecta of 1983:

Pretty good stuff, here's the B-side:


Not as good as the single, but decent.

Jay talks about doing dance routines with his sister to this song:

Crazy video. In a digital age, we don't scratch anymore.


Holy shit the Grammys were cool in the 80s.

After discussing those three records, Jay mentions that although songs like "The Message" mentioned life on the street Rap wasn't yet telling the story of the street hustler.

Good god these guys dress crazy. The 80s seem like so much fun.

Jay discusses Coke taking over the hood in the 80s.

Mel and Grand Master Flash again, this track is awesome.


Song has a great beat.


Now I know.


The first one from Jay, looks like many more will follow on this music journey. Song is strong, and I found myself head bobbing.

Jay calls this a classic of the West Cosast's golden age.

The man can rap.


Song samples Marvin Gaye and mentions Depeche Mode, but I don't really like it. The movie is much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment