8/6/10

God Part 4: Brian May

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Our fourth and final installment relating to Lennon's "God" and the numerous songs that sprung from it ends on a high note. The amazingly gifted guitarist with a PhD in Astrophysics, Brian May, brings it all back home. One last time dear friends let's take a look together.

Following the death of possibly the greatest front man of all time, Freddie Mercury, Queen guitarist Brian May began work on a solo career. In September 1992, Brian released his first solo disc Back to the Light and went on a subsequent tour with the newly formed Brian May Band. The later went on tour with Guns N'Roses, opening for them in the U.S. and Europe. While on tour Brian began performing a cover of Lennon's "God" with altered lyrics. The song was performed and originally supposed to be released as part of The Brian May Band's 1993 live album Live at the Brixton Academy, but legal restrictions from Yoko Ono(bitch) lead to the track being edited out.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Silly cover.

As I stated earlier, Brian May's version really brings this whole topic round full circle because at how close May's version is to Lennon's original. While Bono and Larry were inspired by Lennon's song and subsequently took it in their own unique directions, Brian takes the original and just gives it a personal spin. He makes the song about Brian May, his past accomplishments, his beliefs, and his own future. It is a homage to Lennon, a goodbye to Queen, a spoken confidence in himself, and a thank you to fans. Before we go any further have a listen, the song's lyrics are provided below the video in case you have a hard time hearing May in this live recording.



The dream is over, what can I say
The dream is over, yesterday
We were the fab ones, but now it is gone
I was the gentle one, but now I must be strong
And so dear friends we'll just have to carry on
The dream is over

The dream is over, no matter what they say
The dream is over, it has to be this way
We played in springtime, but now I play in fall
We hit the bigtime, but now we are small
And our dear friend let's hope he has it all, still
The dream is over

I don't believe in magic
I don't believe in pain
I don't believe in heroes
I don't believe in fame
I don't believe the newsprint
I don't believe we're free
I don't believe in nations
I don't believe in pride
I don't believe in pressure
I don't believe we're right
I don't believe in torture
I don't believe in fight
I don't believe in colour
I don't believe in white
I don't believe in history
I don't believe in being Queen any more
I just believe in me
Just you guys and me
And that's reality

Yes the dream is over
Dream on


That's some awesome shit. My initial reaction was "dam, I had no idea Brain May could fucking sing so good." Now it's true, while May's cover is closest to Lennon's and lack some of the complexity, I still find it excellent. He picks up the song on the same words John left it some Twenty-Three years earlier and trudges on. He tells the audience from the start the dream is over and than explains why, and how he's ok with that. He still has himself and he still has all the supporting fans. I liked the mentioning of "Pressure", a badass Queen song with David Bowie, and like that Brian made sure to specially emphasis Queen like Lennon did the Beatles. Additionally, by telling the audience to 'dream on' in the final line really makes for a moving and uplifting ending.

Interestingly while Larry Norman moved to pull God to the forefront in God Part 3, Brian May makes no reference or allusion to him in his own cover. Humorously God is nowhere to be found by the end of our series though his name is in the title of all four versions. Brian May's cover really should just be called "The Dream is Over", but by calling it "God (the dream is over)" it does harken back to the original. Sorry sky man, apparently the Astrophysicist couldn't find you, figures.

So that's all folks the God Blog Series is officially over. In the end we learned that Lennon's reality was himself being godly with Yoko, Bono's reality was love, Larry's reality was God, and Brian's reality was just himself and his fans. Which ones the best? Lennon's. Second best? Hmmm depends on mood but probably Mays making U2's third and alternate second. Sorry Larry your dead last......oops I apologize for repeatedly mentioning your dead, if it's any consolation John is too...Oh and readers for your homework tonite Muse-Zach wants you to write and record your own version of "God".

Fun Fact: In case you thought Brian was being big headed in comparing the end of Queen to the end of the Beatles, just remember Queen was hugely popular in England and Queens Greatest Hits is the highest selling album in UK history.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment:

  1. Never knew Brian did this, thanks.

    Here's a song I wrote about Brian May's PhD thesis. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvViSyQpnHI

    ReplyDelete